24. June 2010
So I'm leaving the company I'm currently at and joining a new one next week. I have personal contacts in my address book but it took me forever trying to figure out how to export my contacts from Outlook 2010. Let's just say the location is counter-intuitive. Anyways, to export your contacts, here are the steps:
- Click on the File tab.
- Select Open from the menu (Part 1 of the counter-intuitiveness).
- Select the Import option (Part 2 of the counter-intuitiveness).
- Select Export to a file.
- Click the Next button.
- Select the appropriate file type (comma or tab separated, Outlook data file, etc).
- Select your Contacts folder.
- Click the Browse button and navigate to the folder you want to save the file to and give the file a file name.
- Click the Ok button.
- Ensure the appropriate action is displayed and selected in the actions list and click the Finish button.
That's it. I know, not the most helpful or thought-provoking blog post I've ever written but I hope this can help some poor sap like me who doesn't think quite like the Microsoft UX guys do and automatically assume that the most appropriate place for an Export action would be under Open | Import ;)